Saturday, August 4, 2012

How Do You Paint A Cow?

Step one.  Layout the basic design.  I chalked mine on with sidewalk chalk which is a much cheaper version of charcoal which I sometimes use for murals.  Since the cow is pristine white, I didn't want the black charcoal to smear all over when I touched it.  The chalk hardly smears at all and wipes clean easier.  Here are a couple of pics with just the chalk.





Step Two.  Start painting.  This is the scary step!  Painting these lines requires a steady hand which I don't really have.  I have to stabilize my arm and remember to breath out while I make each line.  This may look easy to paint, but it is tedious.  But still FUN!  I love this cow.


The first few vines....






It is Saturday night and I have covered about 1/4 of the cow.  I hope to get most of it done tomorrow and go over all of the vines again for a 2nd coat.  Something I'm not used to is having to keep my hands clean the entire time I'm painting.  If I don't, the white will have black fingerprints all over it.

I've just done the easy parts so far.  To paint the belly you have to get under the cow like a mechanic.  I should get one of those skateboard like things they lay on to roll under the cars. 

more tomorrow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
My name is Hilary Clement and I am a mostly self-taught artist in the Greensboro, NC area. I paint in both acrylic and oils.